It’s Evolution, Baby!

Pearl Jam-  Do the Evolution

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDaOgu2CQtI )

Woo..
I’m ahead, I’m a man
I’m the first mammal to wear pants, yeah
I’m at peace with my lust
I can kill ’cause in God I trust, yeah
It’s evolution, baby

I’m at piece, I’m the man
Buying stocks on the day of the crash
On the loose, I’m a truck
All the rolling hills, I’ll flatten ’em out, yeah
It’s herd behavior, uh huh
It’s evolution, baby

Admire me, admire my home
Admire my son, he’s my clone
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
This land is mine, this land is free
I’ll do what I want but irresponsibly
It’s evolution, baby

I’m a thief, I’m a liar
There’s my church, I sing in the choir:
(hallelujah, hallelujah)

Admire me, admire my home
Admire my son, admire my clones
‘Cause we know, appetite for a nightly feast
Those ignorant Indians got nothin’ on me
Nothin’, why?
Because… it’s evolution, baby!

I am ahead, I am advanced
I am the first mammal to make plans, yeah
I crawled the earth, but now I’m higher
2010, watch it go to fire
It’s evolution, baby
Do the evolution
Come on, come on, come on

This song not only relates to the white supremacy that one can see in the Heart of Darkness but to Kurtz himself. Through the first two parts of Heart of Darkness there is this constant build up to finding Kurtz and meeting this iconic figure that everyone seems to be talking about and in the third final part we finally meet Kurtz. Kurtz turns out to have gone insane and his greed for ivory seems to have consumed him. The lyrics start of with “im ahead, im a man” which does resemble Kurtz and his accomplishment of being that man everyone thinks is going to end up on top. He seems to have collected an immense amount of ivory and everyone is jealous of this very reason. Yet the way he has collected the ivory is not according to the code of ethics and standards that the company has placed.

Admire me, admire my home
Admire my son, he’s my clone
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
This land is mine, this land is free
I’ll do what I want but irresponsibly

Kurtz has become his own man one might say, he does what he wants to do and no one really can stop him.
“don’t mind telling you, he wanted to shoot me, too, one day– but I don’t judge him.’ ‘Shoot you!’ I cried ‘What for?’ ‘Well, I had a small lot of ivory the chief of that village near my house gave me. You see I used to shoot game for them. Well, he wanted it, and wouldn’t hear reason. He declared he would shoot me unless I gave him the ivory and then cleared out of the country, because he could do so, and had a fancy for it, and there was nothing on earth to prevent him killing whom he jolly well pleased. ”
If something gets in his way he will make sure it disappears and doesn’t end up destroying his goal. He was willing to kill his associate because of his greed for ivory. The very same man that nursed him when he was ill. He does not seem to have any sense of responsibility within him and he feels that the area that he is in is his own. He takes ivory from wherever he pleases usually using force and those who rebel him normally end up dead.
“these heads were the heads of rebels. I shocked him excessively by laughing. Rebels! What would be the next definition I was to hear? There had been enemies, criminals, workers–and these were rebels. Those rebellious heads looked very subdued to me on their sticks. ‘You don’t know how such a life tries a man like Kurtz,’ cried Kurtz’s last disciple. ” I can kill ’cause in God I trust, yeah

I’m a thief, I’m a liar
There’s my church, I sing in the choir:

Kurtz has managed to make the surrounding villages practically worship him. Also it relates to his tactics of stealing ivory. How he forcefully takes it from people even his own friend.
Kurtz got the tribe to follow him, did he?’ I suggested. He fidgeted a little. ‘They adored him,’ he said.

Nothin’, why?
Because… it’s evolution, baby!

“The camps of these people surrounded the place, and the chiefs came every day to see him. They would crawl. . . . ‘I don’t want to know anything of the ceremonies used when approaching Mr. Kurtz,”
The surrounding tribes dont realize that Kurtz is only using them for the ivory they worship him as if he is some god like creature. Their leaders crawl on the ground when going to see him. They dont realize that he is just like every other white man in the country, only exploiting them for his own self interests. In this case it was ivory, yet he has managed to charm them.

This land is mine, this land is free
I’ll do what I want but irresponsibly

But the wilderness had found him out early, and had taken on him a terrible vengeance for the fantastic invasion. I think it had whispered to him things about himself which he did not know, things of which he had no conception till he took counsel with this great solitude–and the whisper had proved irresistibly fascinating.
The wilderness seems to affect his overall view on the world. This wilderness he feels is his and whatever in it is his. Therefore justifying all his conquests in the wilderness for ivory.  Also he seems to have spent a long time in the wilderness, in fact most of the time thats where he is. Spending months on his journeys. He really feels that freedom that the wilderness offers in Africa. Yet certain acts that he does in his freedom would be considered irresponsible.

This whole song can relate to Kurtz and what we discover of his character in part 3 of the Heart of Darkness.How freedom seems to have engulfed his whole persona on life and how he exploits the natives of the reason and that greed for ivory has taken over his consciousness. It also relates to the theme of the book in terms of white supremacy and how the whites had exploited the Africans and their resources.